What is HPL Wood and How Does it Work in Interior Design?
HPL material (High pressure laminates) is a processed wood material that is currently widely used in interior decoration. Its strong material at a fairly affordable price makes HPL quite favorable for use.
Even so, the quality of wood material from HPL is not as good as real wood, which is quite expensive. However, it can also give a natural and elegant impression that is beautiful to the eye.
Before deciding to use HPL material, first consider its functions, advantages and disadvantages.
Also read: 7 Inspirations for Non Slippery and Aesthetic Kitchen Floor Ceramics
What is HPL?
“HPL” stands for “High pressure laminate“. HPL comes from a composite material consisting of three layers: a layer of base material, a layer of melamine resin and a fabric layer. All these layers are compacted under high pressure and high temperature to form a strong material and durable
HPL is often used in decorative and functional applications, such as in the manufacture of countertops, cabinets, walls and floor surfaces. The advantages of HPL are water resistant, fire resistant, termite resistant, mildew resistant and easy to clean. This material also has good resistance to scratches, mechanical damage and colors that do not fade easily.
However, HPL is also very popular as a base material for making wood panels for making tables, chairs and kitchen cabinets. HPL is widely chosen because it has better durability and is easier to maintain than pure wood.
The origin of HPL Wood
The origins of HPL can be traced back to the 1930s, when a German chemist named Roland Fuchs discovered a way to produce melamine based on a synthetic resin. At that time, melamine was used to coat wooden base materials to make them more water resistant and have better durability.
In the 1960s, HPL began to be widely used as a base material in the manufacture of furniture. At first, HPL was only used as a melamine material to cover the tables. But over time, its use became wider and began to be used as the main material in the manufacture of tables, cabinets, walls and floor surfaces.
Now, HPL is widely used as a basic material in various industrial applications, such as the manufacture of furniture, walls and floors, as well as a decorative material in interiors and exteriors. HPL has become a popular material because it has many functional advantages.
The use of HPL Wood
HPL wood has many uses and applications in industry and home decoration. Here are some common uses of HPL:
- Fabrication of the table: HPL is often used as a base material in the manufacture of tables. This is because it has good resistance to water, fire, termites, mold and scratches.
- Cabinet manufacturing: HPL is also often used as a base material in the manufacture of kitchen, bathroom and living room cabinets.
- Fabrication of the wall: HPL can be used as a basic material in the manufacture of walls, both in the living room and in the bathroom.
- Floors: HPL can also be used as a base material for flooring, because it has good resistance to scratches and mechanical damage.
- interior decoration: HPL can also be used as a decorative material inside the house, such as in the manufacture of wall panels, tables and cabinets.
With so many uses and applications, HPL wood has many advantages and is a popular choice in furniture making and home decoration.
Advantages of HPL material
The HPL material is a wood material that is quite interesting to use in interior design. Here are some of the advantages of HPL materials:
The HPL material has a highly water-resistant surface, which makes it very suitable for applications such as the manufacture of countertops, kitchen cabinets and floors.
2. Termite Resistant
The material has termite resistant qualities. Of course, using HPL can make your furniture safe from termite attacks.
3. Mold resistant
Fungus is a problem that is quite annoying. HPL material has good mildew resistance, making it suitable for wall and floor applications.
4. Easy to clean
The HPL material has a surface that is very easy to clean. In this way, you do not need special care and can be applied to different purposes of interior decoration.
5. Scratch Resistant
HPL material is good in terms of scratch resistance. The material is strong enough to make HPL very suitable for flooring applications.
6. Stable Color
The HPL material has a stable color and does not fade easily, so it is very suitable for use as a decorative material in the interior of the house.
With its many advantages, HPL is a popular choice for furniture and home decoration.
Lack of HPL materials
Here are some of the disadvantages of HPL materials:
- price: HPL material has a higher price compared to ordinary wood. Therefore it is not suitable for those looking for alternative materials at a cheaper price.
- Area: HPL wood has a very hard surface, so special equipment is needed to cut and shape the material.
- Heat resistance: HPL materials are susceptible to heat, so they should be avoided for use in applications such as kitchens or places where the material is frequently exposed to heat.
- Less respect for the environment: HPL materials are usually produced with chemicals and are not environmentally friendly. So what should be considered in the selection of these materials.
- Variable quality: The quality of HPL wood can vary between manufacturers, so it is important for buyers to ensure the quality of the product before purchasing.
Considering the advantages and disadvantages of HPL materials, you can make the right decisions in choosing materials to make furniture or home decorations.
Read also: Understand the types of ceilings in the house and their advantages and disadvantages
HPL installation technique
Here are the steps to install HPL wood:
- Clean the installation surface and make sure it is dry, clean and level. If necessary, repair and seal the surface before installing the HPL.
- Cut the HPL wood according to the desired size. If necessary, use a special cutting tool to cut the HPL properly.
- Apply glue to the surface where it is installed and place the HPL wood on the surface. Use a roller to release the air and adjust the position of the HPL wood.
- Use the cutting tool to cut the parts that do not fit in the corners and sides. If necessary, use a tool such as a screwdriver to correct the position of the HPL if an error occurs during the paste.
- Use a seal or caulk to seal the gap between the HPL and the mounting surface. Use a tool like a spatula to make the seal smooth and even.
- If desired, polishing can be done to give the HPL surface a smooth finish. Use a tool like a roller or brush to apply the polish layer.
These steps are general guidelines for installing HPL and may differ depending on the application and type of HPL used. Consult a professional to ensure that the HPL installation is carried out correctly and according to safety standards.
HPL wood is a material made of melamine resin and wood fiber that is used to make furniture and home decoration products. The main advantages of HPL material are that it is durable, water resistant and scratch resistant, and has a wide choice of colors and textures. However, HPL materials also have disadvantages such as being more expensive, hard, susceptible to heat, and less environmentally friendly.
The installation of HPL requires special steps and can be carried out by considering the correct procedures and safety standards.
In general, HPL wood is a high-quality material and is well suited for certain applications, depending on the needs and preferences of the buyer. However, it is important for buyers to consider the advantages and disadvantages of HPL wood and ensure that the material meets the desired requirements and standards.